Costock Village in Nottinghamshire
St.Giles Church, Costock.
Costock Church, dedicated to St. Giles, was probably built in about 1080, (according
to the Rev. Wilson-
The 14th century relics include the bowl at the Font, and a recess on the outer south wall in which a mutilated figure marks a shrine of some kind, there is also a 13th century lancet window.
For the most part the Church which originally consisted of a Chancel and nave, without
the tower,dates from the 14th century. The present porch was added in 1849 and the
ailse was added in the previous year. Further restoration by Scott (1862-
Perhaps the most outstanding is the remains of what was at one time a richly canopied recess in the wall of the church in which lies the battered figure of a priest in robes. It is said that the head of the figure was knocked off by soldiers during the civil war. There is some evidence that the recess and the figure is in memory of the Rev. John Trewman, who was instituted in 1425, for in his will, dated May 14 1427, he expressed a desire to be buried in the chancel at Costock. It is thought that the recess, or tomb, was built in the wall of the church to comply as near as possible with his wish.
Today much of the rich carving has been worn away , but the stonework has acquired additional significance historically for it is believed that the shallow depressions at the back were made by soldiers sharpening their arrows.
Certainly a battle was fought on the hill outside Costock. Bones found during the excavations in the lane behind the church showed horses were buried there.
Built into the near the recess is a fragment of what has been called a Saxon preaching cross, although some believe it looks more Celtic than Saxon.
The stone was probably part of a structure which stood on the land which is now the churchyard and its presence indicates there were religious gatherings long before the church was built.